Friday, June 25, 2010

A visit to the library


Do you remember when we checked out library books by signing the card in the back of the book?

Last night, we made a family trip to the public library. I picked up a book by one of my former professors, and without really thinking about it...I flipped to the back of the book to look for the card. As soon as I did that, I was reminded of a common practice of mine in elementary school. I was not much of a reader. In fact, I used to say that I hated it. When Mom would take my brother (who loved to read) and me to the library, he would gather stacks of Hardy Boys mysteries while I wandered around flipping to the back of random books. I would pull the card to see if anyone I knew had checked it out.

If I found a book that had been checked out by someone I knew and liked, I might ask to check the book out. It's doubtful that the book was ever read once I got home. I suppose I was a strange kid...and maybe still a bit peculiar (no comments, please).
Anyway, it's just interesting how even today, I remember names easily and make name associations quickly.

Oh, by the way, I've been reading like crazy...trying to make up for lost time.

1 comment:

  1. i hated reading when i was in school too. i think it was being forced to do it & over-analyze books in such a way that teachers were so disconnected from making the book enjoyable.. it turned me off to reading altogether.. until just recently. i've got a huge stack of books to read (and am in the process of reading). i want to do some mini-reviews of them on my blog when i finish a couple of them up (and finish some school assignments first.. blah..)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.