Thursday, October 13, 2011

Buzz Words

Words matter.  The words we choose often carry an impact beyond their mere meaning.  When I was a youngster in school, I was often perplexed by the way certain words or phrases were suddenly "cool" or (more accurately) over-used.  It's funny how some things don't change.

Recently, I've noticed certain words being used far more than they should and in some very unusual contexts.  For example, why are so many people using the term "drill down" in speaking about data?  Why do so many people think that starting their sentences with the conjunction "so" makes them seem smarter than the average bear? And why is everyone fascinated with the term "pipeline"?  Has the oil industry had such an impact on our language?

Perhaps I'm just on the outside of the cool circle (which has always been the case), but I prefer to abstain from trend-speak.  What buzz words have you noticed lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.