Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Is there something better than "You're Welcome"...Really?

Last month, I read an article that suggested not using the phrase "you're welcome," after someone says "thank you."  The article was a response to someone who suggested to say instead, "I'm sure you'd do the same thing for me." I have to admit that I was turned off by this brash, egotistical, what's in it for me? language.

Adam Grant, the author of the article, decided to use the basic suggested approach, but tweak it by saying, "I'm sure you'd do the same thing for someone else."  Ok, somewhat better. It's not quite as much focused on how much you now owe me thinking.

I only mention this article here because I believe that words matter, and that we should strive to choose words that most effectively communicate.  With that in mind, I get tired of using the phrase "you're welcome."  Sometimes, I process through what the phrase really means.  In fact, (I hate to admit this) I have researched it online to get a better understanding.  I'm not sure that it is the clearest or best choice for receiving someone's gratitude, but I do know that it's much, much better than the all too common "no problem."  I'm not going to rant about that phrase again-- you can read my previously posted rant on my blog.

I also know this: when I drove thru at Chik-fil-a earlier this evening and said "thank you," I cannot imagine that the young lady working the drive-thru would have responded with, "I'm sure you would have done the same for someone else." When I imagine this, I think: what does that mean?


If you think of a better response than "you're welcome," please let me know.

Thanks!
Barry 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.